Five Types of Car Repairs That Are Usually Covered By Insurance

by Zelmarie Roets | 10 Nov 2022 | Driving Tips Share:

  When you have an accident or your car breaks down, what do you do? The first thing you should do is contact your insurance company and let them know about the incident and ask if they can cover any of the repairs to your vehicle. Many people assume that when their car breaks down or they get into an accident that they are responsible for the repairs to their car, but this isn’t always the case. SELL MY CAR.SELL YOUR CAR

  • Collision/Loss Damage Waiver

A collision/loss damage waiver is insurance that covers the costs of repairs to your rental car if it's damaged in a collision or stolen. Most car rental companies require you to purchase this insurance, and it can be expensive. However, if you have your own car insurance, you may be covered for these damages. Be sure to check with your insurer before renting a car to find out if you're covered.  

  • Comprehensive

If you have comprehensive car insurance, then your repairs should be covered as long as they’re not the result of an accident that you caused. This includes damage from events like hail, floods, fire, theft, and vandalism. If you live in an area with a high rate of car break-ins, it’s worth considering comprehensive coverage.  

  • Third Party Property Damage

One of the most common types of car insurance claims is for third party property damage. This type of claim occurs when you accidentally damage someone else's property with your car. For example, if you reverse into a parked car or hit a fence, you would likely make a third party property damage claim.  

  • Windscreen

Most car insurance policies will cover the cost of repairing or replacing your windscreen, as well as any damage caused by flying debris. However, there may be a deductible that you have to pay before your insurance will kick in.  

  • Fire & Theft

Your car insurance policy will likely cover repairs if your car is damaged by fire or stolen. Depending on the cause of the fire, your comprehensive or collision coverage may apply. If your car is stolen, you'll have to pay your deductible and then your insurance will reimburse you for the remaining value of your car.